Staff management for all businesses big or small, requires skill, restraint and patience, to keep them happy, motivated and away from conflict. Irrespective of the number, the staff in a business needs to be directed towards excellence in both material and non-material ways.
Employment laws have to be followed to avoid being ruled against and a humane attitude helps to keep employees happier. A few tips on staff management will help to avoid discord and take the business to greater heights. These include:
- Updated staff records are essential since employment tribunals will rule against an employer who has failed to do so. Inaccurate records also remain unacceptable.
- Maintain copies of employment certificates given to employees along with any other official documents, references and government licenses. These come in handy during any investigation carried out
- Record of sickness, leave and holidays taken by employees helps the small business owner in case he decides to fire an employee. Without proof, the employee can challenge his decision in court, but proof can help the owner justify his action.
- Performance appraisals are a good way of showing employees how well they have worked and how the management perceives their effort. It works as a motivator and a way to help them improve certain aspects of their work.
- Development plan and career paths created for employees helps to show how the management values their progress and acts as a great motivator to help them do better.
- Salaries and bonuses should ideally match those of the other payers in the industry. This will make employees stay rather than consider leaving for better pay. A bonus is a way to show appreciation for employee effort in the year and helps to encourage employees. Rewards in kind can also be added for smaller accomplishments. In the end, it is material gain that spurs performance.
- Discipline among employees is also important so that they do not take advantage of a lax employer. Poor performance must be questioned just as much as absenteeism and wasting time. A good balance needs to be struck between kindness and discipline for the employees.
- Maintain cordial relations– a good manager, in this case often the small business owner, is one who treats all his employees as his equals, giving them respect and reaching out to them cordially.
- Communication channels must remain open– This is essential between the owner and the staff. Listening skills help to maintain a two-way interaction that is a key requirement for a good team.
Successful staff management will contribute significantly to the success of the businesses. The world’s leading businesses have a record of a happy and highly motivated set of employees. With success also comes respect for the individual who leads. The small businessman aspiring to grow his business can do so only with the participation and support of his team. High handedness, abrasive demeanor and lack of care and concern for the team are bound to pull down the business. Hence it is essential to follow the above mentioned tips and excel at staff management.