If you want to earn more money, you’re in the right place. Earning more money usually means improving your skills, asking for a raise, and perhaps even starting some kind of side hustle so you don’t have to rely on your full time job to make money.
Here we’re going to give you some smart ideas that will help you to get an increase in your salary – as well as potentially make money on the side with little effort. Take a look and see what you can do:
Ask For A Meeting With Your Boss
If you want to get a pay rise, the first thing you need to do is ask for a meeting with your boss – this is where you’ll explain that you you want a raise. Remember, this is a time you need to give a good presentation of why you should get one, and they may give you some things to go away and improve on. You can’t just twiddle your thumbs, ask for a pay rise and hope that they are going to give you one.
Having solid proof of things you’ve done for the company will be necessary if you want to almost guarantee yourself a pay rise. However, if you are in a role that doesn’t appear to be revenue generating, such as admin, consider the following:
- Where have you saved money that you can measure?
- Where have you saved time, in hours, that can be measured, and then put an hourly monetary value on it.
- What systems and processes can you/have you set up that save time and money?
Asking yourself questions like the above can enable you to come up with a much better presentation that will secure you your raise. It’s also a good idea to look at your soft skills so you can be sure that you are impressing everybody in the office. You should have fantastic communication skills, be on time, show your ability to motivate people that you work with, and be a bit of a risk taker.
All of that being said, there are a few ways in which you shouldn’t ask for a payrise. Don’t:
- Tell your boss that you can’t cover your bills. They will feel emotionally blackmailed.
- Use the fact that you’re thinking of leaving or that you have another job lined up as leverage. Many employers will not want to play these games with you and this will usually backfire.
- Ask for a pay rise because a colleague got a pay rise.
Make sure you prepare well for the meeting with your boss and you’ll be in with a much better chance of getting your pay rise.
Know Your Strengths And Weaknesses And Work On Them
You need to be self aware if you’re going to be a great employee and earn more money. You earn more money by bringing value to others, and you bring the most value to others when you know what you’re good at. You need to know what your strengths and weaknesses are and work on them – yes, in your own time. This will show that you’re committed to your own personal growth and that you want to be the best that you can be.
The best thing about this is that you no longer have to attend classes, courses, and workshops in person. You can find a masters in civil engineering online if that suits you better, but there are all kinds of options and course ideas out there depending on what you want to improve on and achieve. Working on yourself like this will usually help both your professional and personal life.
Start A Side Hustle That You Are Passionate About
Here’s a little tip for you: if you want more money, don’t wait around for your employee to give you a pay rise. Start a side hustle and make more money yourself. You are well within your power to do this, and although it can take a little extra work, you might even find something that you want to make a business out of.
Making sure you’re passionate about what you do is a good idea, as this is going to be out of your comfort zone and sometimes you’ll likely still be tired from your day job, but you’ll have to work to make more money. Below are some ideas you can use to help you make more cash:
- Writing – you could blog, write articles for other companies, create content based around products, etc. Offering your services freelance is fairly easy with some of the platforms available these days.
- Web design – if you consider yourself a dab hand at web design, you could offer these services in your own time.
- Logo design – logo design could be a good idea if you have a creative mind and an eye for detail.
- Create online courses and sell them – if you know a lot about a certain subject, you could create online courses around that subject and sell them. The great thing about this idea is that you only need to create the course once and it will continue to sell. This means that it’s a passive income stream for you after you have completed the initial work. However, it may be a good idea to offer ongoing support to people who purchase your courses, just in case.
- Write e-books – again, if you have a lot of knowledge about a certain subject, you could write an e-book. Writing one e-book usually won’t make you a fortune, unless it really takes off for some reason, but if you have a passion for writing you could build a portfolio of e-books.
- Selling vintage items for profit – your side hustle doesn’t even need to be something that you do online. How about turning a passion into a business, such as finding vintage items and then selling them for a profit?
Bonus Ways To Get More Cash
Below, we have some bonus ways you can make more cash. They are fairly simple, and you don’t have to swap a lot of your time to do them:
- Get A Better Bank Account – a better bank account can give you a little more interest and you could potentially enjoy more features.
- Advertise On Your Car – if you drive quite a bit, you could apply to have advertising on your car. The great thing about this is that a company will come out and fit your car with an advertisement, and all you have to do is continue driving as normal before getting paid at the end of the contract. It’s a great way to make passive income if you’re not too concerned with how flashy your car looks.
- Rent Out Your Driveway – if you don’t use your driveway all the time, renting it out could be an option.
- Use Cashback Sites – using cashback sites every time you buy something could help you to build up a nice amount of cash if you can be patient.
- Investing – investing can be complicated, but there are apps these days that can simplify it for you. All you have to do is choose your risk level and how much you want to consistently invest. When you’ve learned a little more about the whole thing, you could consider taking some bigger risks.
How will you get an increase in your salary and improve your overall income? Leave any of your own ideas below!
- Social Media11 months ago
Top 5 Advantages and Disadvantages of Social Media Marketing
- Management7 years ago
The man who destroyed his multimillion dollar company in 10 seconds
- Management2 years ago
The Five Common Materials Used to Manufacture Reusable Grocery Bags
- Innovation2 years ago
5 Ways How Globalization Impacts Small Businesses
- Management3 years ago
What Are the Penalties for Hiring Illegal Workers?
- Management7 years ago
Workforce Planning – Balancing Demand and Supply
- Management6 years ago
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail
- Management2 years ago
Pros and Cons of Offshoring
- Management1 year ago
7 Essential Tips For Opening a Mechanic Shop
- Accounting & Finance9 years ago
Advantages and Disadvantages of Taking Small Business Loans from Banks
- Management10 months ago
The Importance of Presentation Skills in Business
- Sales6 years ago
7 Steps To A Positive Attitude & Better Sales