For every project there has to be a project manager to guide, to lead and take the project to success and every project manager has to have the proper training and certification. This is where the PMP or Project Manager Professional steps in and becomes an integral part of being a project manager.
To become a project manager, any company requires the credentials that are provided by the Project Management Institute. The credentials are globally recognized, accepted and in fact, much sought after. In this blog, we will tell you ways how you can the PMP certification. But before that let us understand the importance of why one should get PMP certified.
Why should you get PMP certification?
Getting PMP certification is like a project by itself and to get this project started, you have to have a strong reason for it. Ask yourself ‘why should I get PMP certified?’ and once you find the answer move on the next leg of the journey. If you don’t find the reason ‘why’, let us help you. If answer to any of the following is ‘yes’, you have a reason strong enough to pursue the training and certification to be a Project Management Professional.
● Do you want to stand apart from the other non-certified project managers?
● Do you want to impress your dedication and passion towards becoming a better leader to your current employer?
● Do you want to prove to yourself that you can and will take up challenges and overcome them in your ‘work’ life?
There, you have found your motivation to get the training and certification in PMP. Other reasons why you should get PMP certification are:
– To get better job in project management
– To be prepared and to land on a ‘project’ oriented roles in the upcoming sectors
– To get a better pay package
– To get recognition in the PMP field
– To have an edge over other employees
Choosing the certification
Next step in the PMP certification is deciding on the certification you want to pursue. There are multiple choices and depending upon your area of interest and field, you can choose the certification. The top 10 certification are as follows. Study them in detail to make choosing the one best suited to you easy.
● PMP: Project Management Professional
● CAPM: Certified Associate in Project Management
● CSM: Certified ScrumMaster
● CompTIA Project+ certification
● PRINCE2 Foundation/PRINCE2 Practitioner
● CPMP: Certified Project Management Practitioner
● MPM: Master Project Manager
● PPM: Professional in Project Management
● PMITS: Project Management in IT Security
● Certified Project Director
Requisite of the certification
Any applicant who fulfils the below mentioned requisites is eligible to apply for the PMP certification.
● The applicant has to have secondary diploma or a degree.
● He has to have 3 Years (36 Months) of Project Management Experience.
● He has to have 4,500 Hours of Leading & Directing Projects.
● He has to have 35 Hoursof Project Management Education
Steps of getting PMP certification
1. Apply for PMI membership
Before starting the process, carefully research and read the PMI website and study the credentials and apply for the membership. Complete information regarding the Certification will be provided on the PMI website, eligibility, requirement, cost, and et al. having a PMI membership is quite beneficial to the applicants.
– It saves on the PMP examination cost.
– It gets you the latest version of PMBOK® Guide, 5th Edition free of cost.
– It gets you the access to the content you require for the PMP exams.
– It provides you an access to the detailed and informative discussions and publications otherwise unavailable to the general public.
2. Get 35 hours of Project Management Education
To be eligible for the PMP exam, you need to have 35 hours of PME. A number of institutes and PMP Online Course can help in fulfilling this requirement. For different courses, the number of educational hours changes and you have to undergo the training to be eligible to apply for the certification.
3. Get your application for the PMP ready
To apply for the certification, your application should be ready to be audited and re-audited repeatedly. Your application should contain all the details and missing out even a minor detail can get your application rejected. The application should have a record of your experience leading and directing projects, which is no easy feat, considering we are talking years of experience. Go backwards starting on your current project to the older ones; this will make your task easier.
4. Apply for the PMP exam
Next step in the PMP certification process is to apply for the PMP exam via PMI website. Submit your report with all the necessary information and make sure you have the mandatory 35 hours of PME without which the application becomes null.
5. Choose your PMP exam Prometric Testing Center
Once you receive the confirmation mail from the PMI on acceptance of your application, confirm and schedule your dates with the Prometric Testing Center which administers the PMP exam. Schedule a date well in advance as the dates and limited and pre-booked months in advance. This will also give you sufficient time to prepare for the exam.
6. Gather the study material
Like any other exam, having the best resources and study material makes the task of preparing for the exam easier. Gather the best study material and resources like books, mock tests, online forum, exam simulators and such. You can find the complete list of study material on the PMI website.
7. Appear for the exam
Lastly, you appear for the exam. If you have prepared properly, sailing through the exam is an easy task. But, here you have to condition your mind and body for 4 hours exam duration instead of the usual 2 hours exams. This usually proves to be quite taxing for the mind and body.