Making sure employees reach their full potential – how to do it
As a business owner or manager, you need to ensure that you make the best use of all the available resources. One of the most important resources you have is the people who work for you. If you want to get the best from your employees, you have to ensure that they reach their full potential. This may involve the investment of time, effort and money, but the results make all of this worthwhile.
If your employees reach their full potential, they are more productive. This means that the overall productivity of your business improves, which has a positive impact on your performance in the marketplace. You can see the benefits, but how can you help the people you employ to reach their full potential?
It’s not just about work time
One of the main things you need to remember is that your employees do not just exist inside the workplace; they have a full life that you probably know little about. This life can have a positive and negative impact on the potential they reach in work. We are not suggesting that you get personally involved in the life of every employee, but you can put lifestyle advice and support in place.
- Emphasise the importance of a good diet. This could include healthy eating days when you provide a lunch for the workforce.
- Provide help with childcare where possible.
- Encourage exercise. You may want to think about setting up a deal with a local health club, or bringing in someone to provide exercise classes on a regular basis.
- Hire speakers to talk about lifestyle issues such as the importance of sleep. People are not aware how much effect beds such as Simmons Beautyrest Black, and sleep routines can have on their health and work performance.
- Encourage open discussion about work/life balance and be flexible wherever possible.
The more you support your employees in living their lives, the more likely they are to reach their full potential while working for you.
Creating a feeling of involvement
If your employees do not feel they are involved with the running of the business, they are less likely to want to do their best. There are several ways in which you can create a feeling of involvement in your business.
- Communicate openly and effectively. The people who work for you need to know what is going on in the business. This information needs to be communicated in a planned and efficient manner so that you do not create an environment of rumour and misunderstandings.
- Encourage integration. Creating silos of teams across your business is not a good idea. To reach their full potential, they need to be able to see the wider picture. This is why you should encourage shadowing and interaction between teams.
- Set up a suggestion scheme. Creating a successful suggestion scheme takes some effort, but it’s worthwhile. You get access to some really good ideas, and you bring out the potential in your workforce.
All of these ideas can foster a sense of involvement in a workplace.
The importance of training and development
If you do not ensure that your employees are well trained and have access to development opportunities, you will never enable them to reach their full potential. This is not just about training people to do their own job, although that is important, you also need to think about other options. You need to allocate a significant part of your budget to ensure that your training and development provision is sufficient. Areas of training you may want to consider are:
- Management training.
- First aid training.
- Myers Briggs testing and awareness.
- College courses.
- Financial awareness training.
It’s a good idea to use personal development plans, so that training and development can be tailored to help each individual reach their full potential.
Building and maintaining a strong team ethos
There is plenty of truth in the saying that no man is an island. Most of us need people around who can help bring out the best in us. This is why it’s so important to create strong teams in your business. There are plenty of ways for you to do this.
- Encourage regular team meetings, and “get – togethers” outside of the workplace.
- Use online team building ideas.
- Host away days to strengthen the wider team.
Yes, this article is about helping individuals reach their full potential, but making sure they are part of a strong team is a good way of doing this.
Hopefully, you can see how important it is to make sure your employees reach their full potential. Doing so takes time and effort, but the benefits to your business make all of this worthwhile.