Web designers and developers are a sought-after profession in the booming world of ecommerce. With so many website builders online, you might imagine otherwise. The fact is that businesses prefer to hire experts. You might be forgiven for thinking hiring a professional would be obsolete. Yet, this is far from the truth.
There are many reasons why businesses hire web designers and developers. Here are 3 of the most common ones:
- Although a do-it-yourself website design program saves money, business owners still pay in time.
It takes time to learn the specialized language and how to use the software. It takes time to learn the elements of good design and functionality. And it takes time to sort through all the technical frustrations that arise.
In short, there is a steep learning curve. What a business owners saves in costs, they lose in time spent getting up to speed.
This time could be better spent in earning money for their business. Besides spending time learning, you also have to consider wasting time. A company wastes time if a professional can do the work better and faster. When the work gets done in days rather than weeks, business booms. The faster the website is set up, the sooner it brings in business.
- A website requires a lot of functionality to be robust.
It needs a contact form. It needs a shopping cart. It needs an opt-in box, which connects with an autoresponder sequence. The initial low cost of the done-for-you website builder now rises. What looked like a bargain is now an expensive venture.
- A website that converts well has to look professional.
People judge a website by its appearance, rather than its functionality. It’s difficult to do an excellent job right away. You need lots of experience in how to blend colors and features in an aesthetic way.
Become a Professional Web Designer and Programmer
Web designers and web developers are some of the highest paying per hour occupations today.
The best route to take is to enroll in a school. Ideally, you should work toward getting a web design and development degree reputable institution. There are many benefits to getting professional training:
- You will learn from experienced designers and developers.
- You will learn in a community of fellow students. They will push you to study harder. You will get enthused about the pursuit of excellence.
- You will build a portfolio as you work through class projects. This will serve to get you a good paying job after graduation.
- You will outmatch any other applicants at job interviews. You will impress hiring managers because you will have the right credentials.
Study On Your Own, Too
With that said, you can still study on your own as well. This will help you excel in class.
Here are 3 tips to help you:
- Make a study of excellent examples on the Internet. Create a collection of favorite websites. See what they are doing. Over time, you will begin to think like the best in your field.
- Invest in quality software to learn the business. For instance, Adobe Illustrator offers an excellent vector graphics editor. Another excellent program is Fireworks. And, of course, you can’t forget Photoshop. If you can’t afford the premium programs, start with Inkscape. This is free, open-source software. While it is not as feature-rich as the professional programs, it’s great for beginners.
The Big Picture
Imagine being able to craft a website that has a high number of usability elements. Since this will increase sales, you work will be in high demand. A professional website includes clear product graphics, clear descriptions, and clear navigation cues. Despite a plethora of free or low-cost website builders, businesses prefer to hire experts. You will become an expert through expert instruction at a good school. You should also study alongside your course curriculum. This will help you be the best in your field.