Since debts are very commonplace in today’s world and time, you must also know that it is a necessary evil. Therefore, it is important that you know how to deal with the crisis when it presents itself. One of the easiest ways in which debts are created is by using credit cards to make large purchases and all this happens even before you are aware of it! Owing to the recent tough economic scenario, it is important that you know exactly how you can learn to take good care of your finances and in the process, avoid an overwhelmingly large debt.
Credit card debt consolidation agencies take care of these events and are roofed under the term “debt management plans” which are used to get debt holders back on their tracks. But one must be careful as these services turn detrimental rather than beneficial if done through an organisation that is poorly run.
So here is a list of essential information that you must keep in mind while you consider it:
- It is always done by a third-party payment system: the agencies that take care of debt consolidation neither give out loans nor settle debts. They have a pre-set arrangements with financial institutions whose influence lowers interest rates and fees so that most of your payments are channelized towards clearing the loaned amount rather than the associated finance charges.
- The essential features of such a service: several of these services have active websites that help you to register online or over the phone. Loans are always backed up by secured or unsecured collateral. If you get a secured loan, you put up a big asset like your house or car as collateral. If you take an unsecured loan, it is backed up by borrowing history and a credit score.
- What is credit counselling? : Some people become aware of their unsuccessful financial habits once they get into a debt crisis. Also, there is the problem of people who start a program and do not finish it. To stay away from falling into their routines, a quality credit card consolidation service provides counselling and other tools that help reform your bad habits and avoid falling into debt again. Several websites of these services provide free counselling articles and blogs that will help you educate yourself of these crises.
- All plans are basically similar: Financial institutions do not give any preferential treatment to any of these third party agencies. Even if agencies and employees vary, the plans are more or less structured around the same skeleton, which is basically, once you enrol with any of these agencies, your counsellor calculates and determines how much it will require to pay your creditors in totality in a range of three to five years. This payment is usually 2.5 percent of the total debt accumulated, which can be adjusted according to how bad your situation is. It is can go down to 1.75 percent at lowest. You have the power to stop the plan at any time you want and pay more to get out of the debt earlier.
- Debt consolidation is not the right option for everyone under a loan: you must be aware of the fact that you really need a debt consolidation. But how will you do it? You must first ensure that your loan is unsecured; your balances should be unsecured debts like, the credit and charge cards, personal loans and collection amounts. Second, your repayable amount shouldn’t be short term; it should be big enough to take you at least a year to repay it.
The last necessity for availing debt consolidation is that you must have just enough to pay your essential expenses, some savings and your debt amount. If you have a lot of cash with you, you are in a position to clear your debts on your own.