If the SEM, SEO and SMM are three letter acronyms that mean nothing to you, then you had better read on and see how they link to your business.
All these terms link to your online presence and online reputation management. Maximising your business’s online status is so important now. Digital or online marketing is not going anywhere and to do nothing means your business could fall behind or worse, there could be attacks to your business reputation and brand. Mobilize Mail, an email and social media service provider, can provide your business with the support and technical assistance to achieve an online presence.
So the following list is my top seven terms you should know with regard to your online reputation and well being;
- SEO or Search Engine Optimization – according to Wikipedia
SEO is the process of affecting the visibility of a website or a web page in a search engine’s “natural” or un-paid search results. In general, the earlier or higher ranked on the search results page, and more frequently a site appears in the search results list, the more visitors it will receive from the search engine’s users.
- Content Marketing – Content marketing is an inbound online marketing technique that relies on populating a website with high value. The point of these particular advertising campaigns is to build a brand awareness, this should then result in increased repeat sales and a greater number of customer referrals leading to sales.
- SMM or Social Media Marketing – A digital marketing strategy used by many organisations is social media marketing. This is the practice of putting together an interactive and engaging presence on popular social networking sites, like Facebook and Twitter, with the intention of pushing traffic to websites and other assets.
- Keywords – A “keyword” or “search query” is a string of words that search engine users type into the searches on their browsers. If someone types, “men’s shoes size 9” into Google, this phrase will be used by the search engine to determine which indexed pages will provide the most relevant information for this query. A “good” keyword is one that reflects the businesses focus and product.
- Backlinking – A backlink is simply an HTML connection between two webpages. Backlinks can be either internal (connecting the pages in a single URL) or external (connecting pages on two separate URLs). This backlinking points to a web page and then this helps the SEO and lifts your profile or page ranking.
- Meta Tags – Meta tags are HTML code that can be added to a website that provide information to the search engines, they are not visible to site viewers.
- SEM or Search Engine Marketing – SEM is a general term, it encompasses all of the above strategies and refers to an organisation’s online marketing plan as a whole.