Local SEO or Localized Search Engine Optimization refers to the optimization of a website so that it scores higher with the search engines when keywords pertaining to the business’ location are searched. Thus optimization becomes place specific, and helps the website get a higher ranking in every keyword search for products and services in that local area.
Local SEO is often used for online reputation management.
Localized SEO however, can be successful only if it meets certain conditions, five of the principal ones being the following:
- Keywords– The starting point for all search optimization is keywords. The website needs to be optimized for the niche segment it caters to, and also for the keywords used by people for the products belonging to that niche. The amount of traffic for a specific keyword can be measured with the aid of the Google Adwords keyword tool. This cannot be taken for granted or assumed, but has to be properly assessed before a webmaster can start the site optimization process. Competition from other sites is a healthy sign since it shows that the products in question are high in demand and the website will score depending on its superior optimization.
- Site optimizing– Once the first step of identifying keywords is completed, the next in line is the optimization of the site itself. The keywords research must be incorporated so that the keywords are included in the title and H1 tags. Keywords must appear throughout the length of the website but as a natural part of the content and must not appear to be superimposed. Each page of the website must be optimized for related but different keywords, and their use must appear distinctly relevant.
- Original and fresh content– websites stand out if they provide unique and original content and the fresher the content the higher the ranking by search engines. Searchers keep returning to websites that offer them information that adds value and relevant links are an added bonus for them. Back links from others’ sites also help in promoting traffic. Resource pages and interactive inputs are other ways of boosting search engine rankings.
- Building back links– when the website content is unique and informative, building back links and using social bookmarks help to spread word about it. Content needs to be newsworthy to get noticed since quality counts much more. The next step is to use reputed and highly rated websites to provide links to the website. Generally, sites that are not directly competing will be happy to point to the website carrying valuable content. Outward links for related services and content, on your website will help readers as well, and this again builds traffic.
- Using article marketing– While webmasters provide back links to websites, a unique way to attract traffic is by using article marketing strategies. This involves writing top quality articles that are unique, informative, easy to read and comprehend, and posting them to frequently visited article directories. These articles could be on keywords related to your website and links to the site can be added. Such articles often find their way to reader websites or networks and spread further. If the author bio contains the search phrases relevant to the website, it makes reaching it even easier since people get an idea what the website is all about.