1. News/Updates – Important and time sensitive customer updates can be sent directly to your opt-in client or customer using SMS! Plus, people like knowing stuff first. Send your customers updates about product launches, product updates or events. Consider a news text like a micro-newsletter with bite-size updates.
2. Emergency Notification – SMS is a great way to notify your group or team during an emergency. Send critical updates during natural disasters, last minute event location changes or just before your company’s all-hands meeting.
3. Promotions – Travel agents are using texts to their customer databases to highlight special offers and promotions, which can be tailored to individual preferences. Send a message with a unique discount code for customers to redeem. The exclusive code creates incentive to stay on the list for future promotions.
4. Contests – Launch a text messaging contest to your database with a text-to-win campaign. Try sending out a follow up text about the winner of the contest so customers will continue to enter for upcoming contests.
5. SMS Coupons – Use SMS coupons to give out specific coupons or coupon codes for a customer loyalty program. Also when coupled with in-store promotions, texting becomes a strong vehicle for small businesses with newer clientele.
6. Customer Service – Many offer customer support and problem resolution via text. Customers are also able to check order status, track their packages and receive back order notification alerts.
7. Events – Implement a text messaging marketing strategy to promote weekly meetups or networking events. Send out key logistic information like changes of venue or detailed parking instructions.
8. Non-profits & Causes – In Spain on the eve of Election Day in 2004, demonstrations were banned 24 hours prior to an election. Instead, protested rallied via text messaging, utilizing the country’s 94% mobile phone penetration rate in Spain. Start to rally volunteers who are mobile warriors supporting your next cause.
9. Lead Generation – Gyms worldwide are using mobile marketing to generate leads through stronger databases, send out new membership promotions and offer updates on new classes and class cancellations.