Starting a small business could never have been easier. Once a small business has been conceptualized, the entrepreneur can make use of various types of software available to streamline the various business processes and maintain records flawlessly.
This is possible only when an office has been set up, complete with computers and peripherals. In fact the hardware and software selection can be done simultaneously. Software use eases the load on the work force and it enables smooth operations with little scope for human error. Thus it helps to increase efficiency and productivity, save time and effort, and also help to cut costs since fewer people need to be employed for cumbersome tasks. Besides it helps to chart the growth of the business, create reports needed about the business and maintain records. If the entrepreneur selects the right software he may not need to employ too many people.
In fact, software can take care of all the business management needed in the small setup. The entire range of software available is easy to install and use since it comes with very explicit instructions for operating it. Listed below are the various types of software available for a small business.
- Basic start up software- this facilitates the setting up of a small business. It would contain the basic operating system, business applications and online services.
- Accounting and financial software that facilitate the book keeping and other accounting processes.
- Project management software helps to organize the entire small business, plan the project and track its progress as well.
- Business invoicing software and billing software- these do away with the system of making invoices from day one, and generally have templates that can be readily used.
- Database software enables the storage of crucial business information, contacts and documents.
- Asset management software is suited for all types of businesses where physical assets have to be managed. These would include both tangible and intangible assets.
- Warehouse software eases the warehouse management processes.
- Legal software that helps to do away with the need to hire legal experts.
- Human resource software is available for small businesses as well. But this is useful only if there are a significant number of employees.
- Tax software eases the tax calculation and other tax related matters.
Alternatively, software packages can be selected for the small business since they incorporate a range of services and can be used in the whole company. Since they include multiple applications, individual software for specialized functions will not be necessary.
Examples of software packages that have become popular worldwide include SAP, a world leader in business management software and NetSuite Financials which is one of foremost web based business accounting software solutions.
From supply chain management to CRM or customer relationship management, every business process can be handled with specialized software available. However, a small business may not have sufficient resources to install all the software in the market and may opt for the most basic package to start with, and upgrade as the business expands.