I went to a seminar the other day and the speaker mentioned these 16 key items to being successful in business. I thought they were great habits for everyone to develop and included a 17th for good measure.
Habits of Mind for successful entrepreneurs
- Managing impulsivity – when you get ’emotionally flooded’ it gets hard to respond appropriately. Remaining calm, thoughtful and deliberate
- Listening with understanding and empathy – genuinely looking to understand the other viewpoint
- Thinking flexibly – being able to change perspective as necessary
- Thinking about your thinking – Brain needs time to process, it’s in the quiet time that understanding can happen. 3 x 3 mins per day
- Striving for accuracy – doing your best – (but not perfection, that is impossible)
- Questioning and problem posing
- Applying past knowledge to new situations, know that you have the capability to use your past to help your future. You cannot really fail
- Thinking and communicating with clarity and precision – Fuzzy language = Fuzzy thinking = Fuzzy results
- Gather data through all your senses – don’t use just your mind
- Creating, imagining and innovating – something Kiwi’s are good at, our number eight wire thinking
- Responding with wonderment and awe – every day.
- Taking responsible risks – it’s in loss or perception of failure that learning and growth can happen, learn to live on the edge of your competence and try new things often
- Finding humour – especially of oneself
- Thinking interdependently – able to work with others
- Remaining open to continuous learning
- Paying it forward – giving something back
The ideas are from ‘Habits of Mind’ Art Costa
Hope you find the above thought provoking.